Thursday, July 30, 2009

Character Intimidation

Today, I decided to stop being scared of a friggin manuscript. It's imaginary. The characters are ME! I will no longer care what Wynlow thinks of something I made him say. Or made him do. Or think. Who cares about him and the snide remarks he might be making to Palan when my back is turned? If he's disgusted by my manipulation of him and thinks that he can do a better job of being him, then fine, he should take over. Until that happens, though, until he flows effortlessly from my fingertips and his ideas and mine on what he should say, do , and think are in harmony, well, I guess he'll just have to settle for existing at all. Besides, he's a minor character, anyways. My charcters become so real to me that I begin to feel intimidated by them... What will he think if I make him do this? Will Palan disagree with this decision I've made about the plot twist? It's a good thing, I'm sure, to feel like your creations are real people. However, if, in the creation of them, they become so real as to impede you from developing them any further...then, isn't that a little self-defeating? I'm going to go tackle this scene and if Wynlow doesn't like wat I've written, then he'll just have to wait for revision season to have his say. Who knows, maybe he'll be so thoroughly disgusted and so impatient to speak up that revising will be a breeze. We can all dream...

P.S. Go here http://annawrites.com/blog/2009/07/31/plandraftrewrite-stumbling-across-plot-character/#more-901

No comments:

Post a Comment